Mechanical Engineering

Vibration Sensor compatible with MRI

Hello fellow engineers,

I am working with a 7 Tesla MRI system and I would like to measure the vibrations caused by the system during the scanning.

I am looking for a sensor which is compatible with MRIs. Or, alternatively, I am looking for the vibration measurement methods for MRI systems.

Would appreciate if you can share your knowledge in this field.
Thanks in advance,
Ender

Hi there

I think your best bet may be to "throw together" a non-metallic seismometer.

With electronics, you'll get an analogue output (which may then be digitised). The problem with an MRI - particularly one of 7T - is you'll get a EM induction in the wires as a result of the oscillating field, so electronic sensors are a problem.

If you make up a rotating drum with a graph paper and have the pencil-stylus retained on - say - a bamboo BBQ skewer (readily available). For springs, I'd use a couple of thin (light) elastic bands.

It is not enough to utilise non-ferrous metals as their movement through a magnetic field (or within one) will induce magnetic field vortices within the metal, which will completely deaden (or amplify) their response, so you need to move away from that risk completely.

The drum can be driven by a rubber belt driven by a motor from a safe distance (I think it's an inverse-square-law for a mag field...but that is an assumption, so CHECK!)

The key is to avoid metals completely and use very dry materials.

It should be relatively straightforward to calculate and verify the sensitivity of the unit by testing.

I have to ask...is that the UCL Unit at the Wellcome centre..?

I do hope this helps!

Bruce

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for you detailed explanation, very helpful indeed.  

I was thinking about using shielded accelerometers and asked for a quotation form different companies. However, it seems that MEMS solutions are more logical in this case. 

Your solution with seismometer is very interesting, I will discuss it with my colleagues. Hope I will be able to do it. 

No, I am not working at the UCL. This is for a project at a company I am working in Germany.

Thank you one more time for your answer.

Ender