Mechanical Engineering

What is the most fitting driving mechanism for a startracker?

SMAFS

Question

I would love to build my own Startracker as most are quite expensive and i think it would be a fun project.

What troubles me most at the time is what driving mechanism i should use as it needs to be very precise.

For everyone who doesn't know what a Startracker is or more specifically what i need a quick explanation. 

The earth rotates 360° every 24 hours (obvioulsy) and if you want to take long exposures of the nightsky you would have counteract this rotation. So basically i need something that turns once every 24 hours. But it has to be very precise while doing so or at least for the used exposure time, my goal would be 30 seconds everything above that would be bonus.

I don't know if "precise" is the right word and i think "consistent" would be better as it's more about how smooth the movement is then how perfectly precise it is or it's both either way it's just another question to add.

Here are some numbers to help determine how accurate it needs to be. As can begin to see startrailing upwards of about 1 second of exposure time with my current setup (~200mm Lens and a Sony ILC3000) thats the goal i've set.

If we take it that 24 hours equal 360° then 1 second equals 0.004167° and 30 seconds, which is my goal, would equal 0.125°.

So what kind of system would i need to build that adheres to my constrains? Should i use some kind of belts or cogs? I would love to hear your answers and will try to respond to every question you have.

Thanks in advance 

Alex

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet