Mechanical Engineering

Electronic Pulley System

I'm trying to develop either a pulley or gear system in my backyard that will combine 5 ropes from different spots along a wall and have them all pulled by one rope.  I'm not a mechanical engineer unfortunately.  I'm a computer nerd.  But I am also a do-it-yourself kind of guy that loves tinkering and figuring out problems.  So I figured I'd come to the smart guys to help me out.  Ultimately, this is me building a retractable covering for my pool.  When the sun is out, I want to pull the single rope which is attached to my canopy at 5 points and it covers the pool.  If the sun goes away, I want to be able to put the covering away. It would be great if I could just press a button and the canopy puts itself away, but I haven't figured that one out yet.  My attached picture is a rough drawing of what I'm talking about.  I greatly appreciate the help!

image.jpg

Thanks Henry.  Those are definitely pretty sharp ideas.  I've already sewn the covering together.  I bought a lot of outdoor umbrella grade type fabric, sown them together and plan to have the covering elevated above the pool about 15 feet.  It's more of a covering from the sun so my kids can swim while shaded.  I guess I could just put a big rod on the house and have it roll up from that rod instead of doing pulleys on the stone wall.