Mechanical Engineering

Walking machines

Everyone knows of Theo Jansen, Klanns linkage, Cheyushev....Boston Dynamics is building robotic dogs, Cheetahs...etc, and many garage mechanics have made mechanical spiders.

The machine I am building is not as refined, and has some drawbacks, but i think its sturdiness and ruggedness makes up for it. I have built some models to test the concept, and I am mildly happy. But steel is the wrong building material, and many parts could be reduced or eliminated to save weight and complexity.

The latest test run is human powered. Two cables run from pedals to the bar connected to the crankshaft.

Eventually, this machine should be able to replace tracks in some vehicles, because there are no wheels, no sprockets, links, driveshafts...etc. It can be run with linear motors such as air cylinders, or steam cylinders.

I am not a mechanical engineer. I was unable to learn CAD/CAM to assist me indevelopment. I am hoping to find people who can see a future in this design, and possibly help make it practical, and commercially useful. My own imagination runs wild with the possibilities, but my friends see nothing but an interesting machine.

If the link works, this is the last video://youtu.be/Y4ZuhBAAOd0, there are a couple other versions on my page too.

I had a crowdfunding site that no one was interested in too; http://igg.me/at/chimecycle/x/477602

• 7 months later...

I saw your video and it was impressive. Good work. How fast did it go in the test runs? Because I think speed is going to be your main concern. And what are the possibilities that you were talking about pls elaborate.

CAD softwares can be easily learned there are many good tutorials available.

Try weight reduction.

I saw your video and it was impressive. Good work. How fast did it go in the test runs? Because I think speed is going to be your main concern. And what are the possibilities that you were talking about pls elaborate.

CAD softwares can be easily learned there are many good tutorials available.

Try weight reduction.

Balagopal, Thank you for looking at the video, and more than that, taking time to write. I disgree strongly with your suggestions. If you want lightweight, you have Theo Jansens machines (made of PVC pipe), if you want speed, you have wheeled vehicles on paved roads, or rails. I did not build this for Americans, who would pave the entire country over just so they could drive everywhere. It was created for primitive roads and trails, cross country, over snow and mud. Tracked vehicles are suspended on wheels, and have endless loop of track that stretches, or even comes off. My feet move in an elliptical orbit. But almost 180 degrees are flat. Yes, there are lots of drawbacks, one of them is hammering the ground, but I think my camshaft idea works. Turning is another weak point, it rips up soil just like a tank.

Speed is not a concern of mine at this time. Of course for now, to satisfy the average person, I will have to use a conventional engine, drivetrain and make it fast, so that people can be comfortable assisting me, both financially, and otherwise. Ultimately, it would use steam cylinders like a steam train. My intention is to aid the poor, with cheap, simple transportation that is not a living animal. I believe the working poor are more valuable than the rich, the rich are parasites. This machine is not complex, expensive, or hard to build and maintain. But it can carry and pull more weight than wheeled vehicles. The reason I want it heavy, is (that) it is a tractor, it has pulling power. Without weight, it sits still and digs a hole.Trailing vehicles can be wheeled, tracked, or use my method.

Unfortunately, I have to work long hours as a cab driver to buy parts. The only way to get time to work on my machine is to quit my job, and find another one (job) when the money runs out. Thats why I make very little progress over the years, I need investors.

• 2 months later...

I don't think i can, and it's easier for you to just design it yourself. This is still at the idea stage. You can do a better job than I did. I am not an engineer. The idea needs a lot of improvement

Edited by Timothy L Dennison
Wrong answer

If I thought you would help perfect it, with noble intentions, I might consider it. I need a lot of help. It easy to figure it out by looking at the videos. I want to keep it cheap so that the poorest people on earth can own one and repair it themselves. I think performing work will be easier

• 3 months later...

Hi Tim,

Not a bad idea, but unfortunately it requires a lot more energy to move than wheel based transport. I too would like to aid the poor with tools and easy to use transport but you need a little patience and get your idea paired with good back ground research, measurements and calculations. What is your experience with engineering?

• 5 weeks later...

hi, its commendable that you have gotten this far with your idea. i would be happy to help in anyway, you might find my project present project useful. it was made for just such a contraption, to help prototype quicker and less cost....

pls see my work on this site,,, its titled - SACRED GEOMETRY - REAL WORLD APPLICATION.  you may also find my on fb where you can see more assemblies that i am trying out using the Seed. 

regarding your idea. i think its a great idea. and i have for a long time wanted to explore better ways than the WHEEL.... why? DO YOU SEE ANY WHEELS IN NATURE? BUT THEY GET AROUND JUST FINE!

i think this is a better approach than that wheel, the wheel can only be invented once anyhow... :-)

the fact that you are able to move this heavy machine with just leg power is an achievemt, well done bro

Hi, thank you Vikas and all the others for the generous comments. I have suspended my work because of financial hardship and other problems. I intend to build a small version next month and fit it to a bicycle. When I can get the parts I need I will power a large model with an engine.

The weird thing is I started out trying to build a machine that propagated a rolling sine wave through a traction belt.  I wanted to mimic the action of caterpillars and still intend to do it. Tank and bulldozer tracks look nothing like natural movements.  But this Chimecycle was much easier and more useful.

• 7 months later...

tried some other versions to see what works better

crude experiment

small one inch radius crank

Mounted on a bicycle frame

Tried a different layout for the feet

Over under arrangement, might work better with larger diameter crank?

• 9 months later...

Working on refining the linkage for a more useful motion. For a tractor, the shoes should have a linear motion for as much of the cycle as possible.  After I get this optimized, I will attach legs, that alternately step forward.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

since I already made the assembly I thought I would try making an alternative to paddle wheel boats. I thought if half of the paddle were always pulling buckets of water it might be more efficient in the end. I am half way through assembling it. Need to attach a motor and cut off parts that are binding. It should be running smoothly in a week at most

Doggie paddle machine concept

• 3 years later...

Still need to make a lot of adjustments and redesigns,  but i think i am going in the right direction. I made it the width of standard gauge railroad tracks. Skipped making it variable " length of gait " for now

• 2 months later...

Yes, it does move in a straight line, but have you thought about how you will steer it?

DrD

9 hours ago, DrD said:

Yes, it does move in a straight line, but have you thought about how you will steer it?

DrD

I have guide wheels front and rear. They would steer it but i ran out of money and materials.  

Its 4'-8 1/2" wide, designed to operate on standard gauge railroads.  But my vision was to run them on wooden rails in remote geographic areas where paved roads are uneconomical.  

I used Chebyshevs lambda mechanism to convert constant RPM to constant velocity in straight line, Roberts mechanism for straight line, then was going to use a pair of pantographs to double or halve the stride, but i have to rebuild it from scratch. I did a crappy job and it does not work well